Over 50 now what?
Well if you’re like me—You’ve noticed a few aches and pains and well—some things YOU just can’t quite do the same anymore.
Oh don’t get me wrong. You are still awesome! I am!
However, be truthful, even though the mind is 20 years old, the body, well……you know.
So now you find yourself asking,
- “What does this mean?”
- “While I change over into this next stage of life what activities can I do?”
Well, you certainly don’t roll over and wait to die. There is so much more life to live!
A TIME TO DISCOVER NEW THINGS
Now is a time to reflect and discover NEW passions, NEW experiences, NEW life skills. And what about those skills you already have and enjoy? Why not teach your love of these things to the next generations?
It actually encourages us to do that in the Scriptures. Titus 2:3-5 (NLT) states:
“Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honours God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers (be enslaved to much wine). Instead, they should teach others what is good. These older women must train the younger women to
- to love their husbands
- and their children
- to live wisely
- and be pure
- to work in their homes (to care for their homes)
- to do good
- and to be submissive to their husbands.
Then they will not bring shame on the Word of God”
STEP ONE: KEEP ON LEARNING!
So what does that mean for YOU?
For starters, it says “teach the older women”.
You are still to learn:
- new things
- and demonstrate new ways to honour God
- discover new ways to communicate with others. Getting past the slander, gossip, and soap operas of life
- we, the older women need to conduct ourselves free of addictions such as alcohol or drugs. And if you are trapped in alcohol or drug abuse—then NOW is the time to seek HELP—to see yourself set FREE and to be EMPOWERED towards a HOPE and of a FUTURE. If you will need HELP—please reach out and access: www.teenchallenge.ca —Womens centre
Learn New Things:
What interests you? What would you like to learn? Is there something that you’ve always wanted to do? What is on your bucket list? Why wait? Are there any community college classes that interest you? What about any courses offered by your local community Leisure and Recreation Centres? Do you have a local Seniors Centre? What classes or activities do they offer that might interest and challenge you? How about volunteering some time at a local group or organization?
For me—I’m self-teaching myself how to blog and interact with others on the internet. It has been exciting, sometimes overwhelming, yet challenging and inspiring all rolled into one. This article is part of my journey of Learning New Things and I’m sharing this insight with you.
So I challenge you—Look into it—
- Are there any FREE or inexpensive classes to introduce you to these topics that interest you?
- Check with your local library—many offer a variety of classes—our local library has offered Pinterest 101 classes. I hope to look into that myself sometime.
- Check Social Media—BLOGS—such as this one offer a wide, wide range of topics and are full of all kinds of FREE advice and instructions and even step-by-step instructions. There is no limit to what you can learn.
- How about your local Seniors Centre—what activities do they offer that might interest you?
- How about your local YWCA or YMCA?
- What about your local community Leisure and Recreation programmes?
- Do you have a local college that offers part-time or night school courses? Sometimes there can be a wide range of interests featured here. Anything from cooking classes, dance, DIY project, etc.
- Are there any Women’s Resource Centres? Quite often they will offer classes such as pottery, painting, photography, or sewing.
- And volunteer—many times you will learn new skills even in volunteering.
Learn and Demonstrate New Ways to Honour God:
Now is an excellent time for you to dive deeper into the Father’s Heart and draw closer to Him in your day to day life and walk.
- Have you ever read the Bible through in one year? Why not start now?
- Read any good Christian women’s books lately? Check out www.booksforchrist.com
- How about joining a weekly women’s Bible study group?
- Have you ever attended a women’s conference event? Why not try one now?
- BLOGS—yes, there are many several excellent Christian women blog sites—check them out.
TAKE THESE NEW SKILLS AND SHARE THEM
But don’t stop with just learning new things about God and your walk with Him—take these newly acquired skills and knowledge and demonstrate them to others around you in your community. SHARE HIS LOVE. For instance, what did you learn today in your Bible study or prayer time? How can you share that with a stranger or a neighbour? Did you learn the story about “entertaining angels unaware” ? Look around, see beyond yourself and observe the tired mom struggling to juggle the newborn and chase the toddler in the grocery store. How can you help? Is there an elderly person who needs a hot, home-cooked meal? Or someone to run a shopping errand? Look around and see how you can demonstrate God in your life to others, while helping them in their lives.
Don’t stop there either—Praise God, Worship God, Dig Deeper into His Truths, His Healing, His Peace. Do you sing? Sing praises—remember, songs can be mighty powerful prayers.
Learn New Ways to Communicate With Others
Have you in the past been involved in the mindless, silliness of gossip, slander and all other sources of soap opera drama?
Now is the time to change. Time to have the “words of your mouth and the meditation of your heart be pleasing to the Lord.”
With this, a word of caution. Be aware of your actions and words on Social Media such as Facebook also—I’m always trying to remind myself of this also—not always successfully—I, too, am still learning. Even I, myself, have been in the middle of saying something in sheer reaction to something posted and have had to stop myself—SLOWDOWN, BREATHE—and then DELETE it before posting.
Remember, your words can destroy or lift someone up. The more you use your words to help others, offer a word of wisdom, speak love and kindness, the better you will get at it, and the easier it will be to speak life into those around you. Try it today—offer a kind word and see how people around you open up like a beautiful tulip on a sunny spring morning—we are all beautiful flowers in God’s Garden.
STEP TWO: TEACH THE YOUNGER
As we get older, supposedly we also get WISER. Well, let’s get out there and teach that next generation—after all, we are the ones who’ve already traveled that younger road of life. We’ve been there, done that—NOW is the time to teach the younger women– “do this—but don’t do that.”
Pass on YOUR WISDOM.
Well it doesn’t have to be difficult or even take a lot of time.
- Social Media—Do you participate on Social Media such as Facebook? Use those skills you’ve learned on how to communicate—be an attentive ear and a wise word into their lives. This is a perfect opportunity to put seeds of wisdom into your younger friends’ postings. You can be that ear of understanding and words of guidance they need. Perhaps she has a sick child and doesn’t know how to bring the fever down—do you? Let her know.
- Blogging—How about sharing your wisdom to a larger audience? How about blogging? That’s what I’m doing—you can too!! You have so much to share also. Not for you? That’s okay too.
- Teaching Cooking & Baking—Do you love to bake cookies? Well, let’s face it—we don’t need to add anymore to our own waistlines—but how about the young family down the street? Why not invite mom over while her kids are at school. Have a coffee or tea and bake some cookies with her. Then send her home with them for the kid’s lunches.
DID YOU KNOW?
Did you know that a lot of young women today don’t even know how to do something this simple? They’ve never learned because their own moms were quite often too busy working full-time jobs and grabbing either takeout or popping the chicken fingers and fries into the oven—and thus, that is all she knows how to cook too.
So can you spare some time, even once a month, to mentor a young woman in your community in this way? You’ve heard of BIG BROTHERS / BIG SISTERS. Well, you would be like another mother or grandmother figure in this young woman’s life.
But unlike the tension that can sometimes occur between a woman and her actual mother—you can be that confidante; that wisdom giver; that prayer and moral support that she needs. You can even help her restore a good relationship with her mom.
During these mentoring friendship times you can teach her
- how to love her husband
- strategies to be a better mom
- teach her budgeting tips & tricks
- to live morally and substance abuse free
- teach her how to run an efficient home
- the wise woman builds her home—a foolish one destroys it
- gifts of the Spirit, such as generosity & hospitality.
And all over a cup of coffee and a cookie sheet full of home baked goodness. While you are learning new things, new ways to communicate, share these skills and these parts of your life with a young woman in your neighborhood.
OPPORTUNITIES ARE ALL AROUND
Keep your eyes and ears open—listen—watch!!
What do young women struggle with today? How can you help? What can you teach them?
For instance, myself, about 5 years ago, young women in my day to day exposure were expressing their frustration over high food costs and struggling to put food on the table. I responded by first—asking them questions. What were their cooking skills? Did they do much cooking from scratch or baking? Would a simple cookbook help? One with budgeting tips and shopping secrets?
Well, young lady after another said “YES”.
So I, along with several other older ladies, in our local region, combined a pile of recipes. Within 3 months I wrote and compiled the Free Stuff 4 Daily Needs Cookbook that has now been printed and handed out to over 1,500 financially struggling families in our region for FREE.
BE AWARE OF CONTINUALLY NEW OPPORTUNITIES TOO !!
This past year, I’m hearing another common “thread” among the young ladies we deal with. An interest in learning “how to sew”–either by hand or sewing machine. After extensively trying to round up some volunteers to teach such a skill—the job has fallen to me.
Trust me, my sewing skills are far, far from professional. I have only really learned and self taught myself in the past 15 years. I do simple, straight stitch machine sewing and I stick to basic cotton type materials. No zigzags, no stretchy materials, etc. I don’t have those skills—but I will share the skills I do have. So I will teach them how to make crib sheets out of recycled top sheets, hair scrunchies for their kids, pillowcases, or maybe even pajamas for their kids for Christmas presents.
WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS?
My goal is to help EMPOWER them towards a HOPE and a FUTURE, by sharing my skills so they can acquire these same skills and hopefully spur them on to learning greater skills for themselves.
This blog is another way that I’m using to share my wisdom to help EMPOWER others towards a HOPE and a FUTURE—and I’m LEARNING a whole new computer language and skills as I’ve been diving into this previously unknown world of Blogging.
So even I am LEARNING NEW THINGS and then turning around and sharing, teaching, and training others.
You can do so much too !!!
So, you’re over 50? Now what?
Live, learn, teach, and share !!
So come on, put the kettle on, bring out the mixing bowl, flour and chocolate chips and invite that young lady over. You will be amazed at how this new friendship will blossom and grow—just like you—in this new stage of your life.
Over 50? Now what? Live life!! The best is yet to come!