How To Start Your Own Website Inexpensively
Affiliate Statement: FTC Disclosure of Material connection: In order for us to maintain this website, some of the links in the post below are affiliate links. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we use personally &/or believe will add value to readers. Check our our full Affiliate Link Policy for more information or this article: What Does “May Contain Affiliated Links” Mean?
You Have Questions
Have you ever wondered how expensive it is to have your own website? Maybe you have something on your mind and you want to start a blog journal type website. Or perhaps you are a crafty person and want to have an online store to sell your items. You may have another kind of business from being a contractor to a floral designer.
Whatever your reasons, you have come to the conclusion that you need a website.
- But how do you go about it?
- Is it complicated?
- How do you get one of those .com or .ca website names anyways?
- Where do you start?
- Will it take long to get it up and running?
- How much does it cost?
These are probably only a few of the many questions you may have.
Well, let me put your mind at ease. I’m over 50 years of age, and what I would describe as being “technically challenged”. But – here you are visiting my website. So, if I can do it, so can you.
Learning The Lingo
One of the biggest challenges I found was trying to sort all the computer and internet words and meanings. I’m still sorting them out and learning new ones all the time. However, I will help to sort out some of the bare basic ones that you need to understand in order to get started.
Some words and their meanings may still continue to sound like a foreign language until you actually get “on the website” experience. In that case, although you won’t completely understand it right away, one day, the light bulb will shine, and you’ll say, “Oh, now I get it!”
Basic Words To Learn
- WordPress.org is also known as WordPress. This is a website platform where your website will be designed and administrated on. It works in cooperation with a hosting site. This is not the same thing as WordPress.com. WordPress.com is a hosting site, however, because it restricts your ability to design your website for making money, I don’t advise it. However, I will share with you a better option in a moment.
- Domain Name If you are going to have a website, you need to have a Domain Name. That is simply the website address or URL that identifies your website. It will usually end in .com or .ca or any other several endings. For example, the Domain Name for this website is: freestuff4dailyneeds.com. There is a fee to have a Domain Name as you “buy” it for a specified period of time. But I’m going to tell you how you can get it FREE for 1 year. Do you have a name in mind for your new website? Check here to see if it is available:
You Need To Be Self-Hosted
- Host You need to have a hosting company that allows you to be considered a self-hosted site. Although it will be a shared site because after all, unless you have the computer tech skills to design your own from scratch, you need someone else’s expertise. The benefit of being a self-hosted site is that this will allow you to set up your website to allow for advertisements or selling your own products. You have control over what is and isn’t seen on your website.
- Yes, one of the following links is an affiliate link source, and if you click through and decide to make a purchase, I will be paid a commission, at NO COST TO YOU, but that is not why I’m recommending it. I’m recommending this resource because for me—it helped!! And as the blogging world loves to share—I’m sharing with you!
- Bluehost Is a hosting site that “shares” with you. Allowing you to be considered self-hosted. There are several reasons why so many new websites choose Bluehost first.
(affiliate link) Bluehost is considered to be an excellent “beginners” hosting site. And WordPress loves their setup so much, that they highly recommend that you install WordPress on a Bluehost hosted site. WordPress has been recommending Bluehost for over 10 years now.
Some additional benefits include:
- 24/7 assistance—they are so patient with “newbies”
- 100% money back guarantee
- 1 year FREE Domain Name
- easy-to-use 1-click installation of WordPress
- can operate your website, email account and domains all on one account
- low cost. The best deal is to sign up for the 36 month package. And for less than $150 you can start your own website.
So if you are eager to get started with your own website and for a low cost, I strongly recommend (affiliate link) Bluehost. We personally use (affiliate link) Bluehost for Free Stuff 4 Daily Needs. So we have personal experience with their 24/7 customer service assistance. And the 1-click WordPress installation was as simple as that.
Your Website In 15 Minutes
Within 15 minutes you not only can have a Domain Name for your website, but you can have it hosted on Bluehost.com and the WordPress platform installed. By purchasing the 3 year plan for less than $150 you have time to figure out if this website is for you. This is an inexpensive way to get started with your own on line business. We are now going into our second year with Bluehost and we are very happy with it.
So, credit card handy? Ready?
- Go to the following link: Bluehost
- Ok, hit the green button and “get started now”.
- Select the “starter” plan
- Choose your Domain Name—what your website will be called (Bluehost.com gives you this free for 1 year too!)
- Fill in your account information of name, address, and email address
- You will now be taken to a page called “package information”. Don’t stress out over this—it will offer you some add-on options, however, you don’t need any of those right now. But if you change your mind, you can add them later.
- Billing information—agree to their service agreements and then hit the “submit” button
- Again, you will be asked if there are any additional options to be added. These can also be added later, so right now—hit “complete”
- Congratulations! You now have a Bluehost.com account.
- You need a Password now. IMPORTANT— Don’t forget it and make it a strong one. In fact, I used the Password Generator button and had Bluehost.com create one for me.
Earlier I mentioned WordPress.org and that I’m “technically challenged”. Well, doing the 1-click installation of WordPress.org through Bluehost.com is easy.
Now that you have created your password, you will be taken to another page so you can install WordPress.org. This is also just commonly referred to as “WordPress”.
This screen will confirm that you are all set up for hosting and that through something called MOJO Marketplace, you can click the button “let’s begin” and it will install “WordPress” on your new website for you.
- You do need to tell them where to install it. This is where you get to type in your new website name (domain name). Such as my case it was: http://www.freestuff4dailyneeds.com
- In the “directory” box, leave it blank. This allows WordPress to be installed into the root of your domain and that is where you want it to be.
- Click on the “show advanced options” box.
- You now get to name your site –don’t worry if you change your mind about the name later, you can change it. Our site is called: Free Stuff 4 Daily Needs
Set Your Administration Username
- Create an Administration Username and an Administration WordPress login password.
- Make sure to check the boxes– “automatically create a new database for this installation” and “I have read the terms and conditions of the GPLv2”
- Click “Install Now”
- As WordPress is being installed you will be asked to choose a theme—DON’T worry about right now. Just watch the green line at the top of the page that will let you know how the WordPress installation is going.
Your Install Is Complete
When it tells you that “Your Install is complete!” click on the “View Credentials” button. This alert will expire after 12 hours, so make sure you get the password within that time period. Make sure to write down this information. It is what you need in order to be able to start using WordPress.
The following information will be provided for you:
URL: such as: http://www.freestuff4dailyneeds.com
Admin URL: this will be the same as above with the added //wp-admin
Ready To Go To Your New Website?
This next step will take you into the behind the scenes of your newly built website. Open a new tab in your browser. In the search bar enter the Admin URL that you were given a few minutes ago. When the WordPress screen comes up, enter your Username and Password. Press the “log in” button.
CONGRATULATIONS! You did it!
The next step will be to choose a theme—that is like the paints and brush strokes of a painting—how will your website look. But for the moment, you have done a HUGE step. You have the blank canvas of your new website. A new adventure awaits you.
I will put you in touch with more inexpensive resources to show you more of what to do with your website in future articles.
But for now you know how to start your own website inexpensively.
Now if you haven’t quite gotten started but want to now, you can still just do it—go here (affiliate link) Bluehost.com