How To Give A Hand Up To Another
There are times when all of us are in need of assistance. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Perhaps you are in need of some kind of assistance yourself, right now.
The assistance needed could be:
- Financial—perhaps you have unpaid bills, low income, health issues preventing you from working, etc. There are many, many reasons why financial needs are in your life or in the lives of others around you.
- Material—the need for some thing, perhaps furniture, clothing, other
- Spiritual—we all need God and the relationship only He can give. Have you talked to Him today?
- Prayer support. There are times when your own prayers may seem to not be enough, and you need more voices raised in unison, like a choir.
- A word of encouragement. Sometimes the “need” is an internal one. And we all know someone struggling with what is termed “mental health issues”.
- Help to break a cycle of addiction
- What needs can you think of?
And in all of our circumstances, no matter how tight or tough your own personal situation may be, there is someone worse off.
Let’s look at how to give a hand up to another person.
A Human Chain Of Assistance
At Free Stuff 4 Daily Needs, Barry and I believe that it is important to look around and find someone struggling more. Even with our own unpaid bills, we try to daily stop, reach back, and give a hand up to another.
By doing so, we hope to start a chain reaction. A human chain of assistance.
Imagine this human chain of compassion. A chain of people not just holding hands from the rich all the way down to the poorest. No, much more than that.
An actively moving chain that helps to pull the next person up. Yes, pull them up. Not just all standing in a neat row, holding hands. Yes, holding hands can show support, however, it doesn’t move. It is a stagnant line.
So, we as members of human kind need to do more! We need to all work together to keep the line moving up.
Everyone is trying to climb the mountain of life. There are spots on that climb that you seem to easily scramble up. But eventually even you are going to find yourself stuck. You will reach a spot when you have overstretched and got yourself stuck on a ledge. You can’t go up, and you can’t go down. Stuck.
- Have you ever found yourself stuck?
- What happened to free you from that position?
- Did someone help you?
In many instances, someone did help you. Perhaps in a small way, sometimes in a big way. Whatever that help was, it breathed new life into you. Suddenly you have the strength and energy to keep moving forward.
Before continuing your scramble up the mountainside, take a glance behind you.
Is there someone you can help too?
Helping Others Helps You Too!
Remember the recent help someone gave you?
- Your spirits rose,
- the determination to face life once again was strengthened,
- life is good.
No, we aren’t saying that all of your problems have been solved, but for the moment they are eased. All because someone, took a moment to reach back and give you a hand up.
Now, look back, and see who you can also help. This will not only keep the human chain of assistance moving behind you, it will help you gather more strength to move forward too.
As you reach back to find someone behind you to help up, you will also discover that:
- your spirits will rise – scientifically this refers to the endorphins, the “happy” feeling chemical brain reaction
- the determination to carry on is strengthened even more
- and yes, life is good.
And taking the moment to stop and help someone else doesn’t even take a lot to do in many instances. But it can be life changing for you and the person you help.
Ways You Can Help Someone Else Up
There are many ways to help someone else up the mountain of life. Some may cost you financially, and others will cost you more in your time, skills, and giftings. But use whatever resources you have to help someone else.
God created each of us to “do something” –song by Matthew West.
What resources do you have available to you to help others?
- Do you sew? Perhaps you could take some old sheets and make crib sheets for the struggling single mom down the street. Or fix a zipper on her child’s jacket. Or, even better, take her under wing, and teach her these skills too.
- You love to bake and consider yourself a frugal home economist. Can you take some of those skills and knowledge and run a workshop, or one on one mentoring with some young ladies you know.
- Share free resources that you’ve found for yourself with others. Sharing the help you received will help others.
- Do you have the gift of time? Perhaps you could go and visit with a shut-in for a cup of tea once a week. Or look after the little ones so a run ragged mom can run to the grocery store undisturbed.
- Or, perhaps, you are financially blessed. Prayerfully consider how you can use that to bless others. And don’t always be looking at how you can get something in return for you buck. There are many ways that you can help out in mighty ways with just a few dollars, and not receive a tax deduction receipt for yourself. Freely give, and see what happens.
It doesn’t need to be complicated or evenly expensive to take the time to reach back and help another.
Ways That We Personally Reach Out To Others
Barry and I personally and through Free Stuff 4 Daily Needs help in a variety of ways, both individuals and ministries.
- Monthly sponsorship of a child through the Compassion Canada projects. We are now on our 3rd child sponsorship. Our other 2 are now adults and have successfully graduated from the program. The last one graduated last year with a Diploma in Business Management. We are praying great things for her as she reaches back to help her community.
- Monthly donation to a local Christian Radio Station—Life 100.3 FM. We have seen how their ministry of music has changed lives in our region. We believe in their mission of outreach also.
- 6 days a week we operate Free Stuff 4 Daily Needs and are able to assist 2,000 families yearly in our immediate region.
- Blogging on this website to help thousands more
- writing resources, some free, some paid, to help you and others
The list could go on and on. It has become our living, breathing service to both our Lord Jesus, and to our fellow mankind.
Daily, we ask, “how can we help someone today?”
Recently, Some Have Reached Back To Help Us
It is no secret that Barry and I have sacrificed much to help others. Sometimes to the point of not being able to financially meet all of our own bills. Barry and I had been praying that God would send us the fish with the gold coin so we could pay our land taxes. Not sure why, but that is the bill that we struggle with constantly.
Recently, upon gathering the mail, there was another envelope amongst the bills. This one was different.
We were so thankful with the unsolicited gift that was contained within. Unsolicited from this source, but we did ask God to send that fish.
Praise Him, even when it seems like the mountain isn’t moving.
A gift sufficient to knock a brick out of our land tax bill. Whew! That eased a huge burden off of our shoulders. It isn’t totally paid off, but the burden feels more bearable once again.
Using That Help Received To Help Others Too
This gift has us also looking at how we can use it to strengthen our outreach services to you. And how to do so in such a way as to help as many people as possible. Instead of just rushing out and spending the full amount received, we are seeking God’s Wisdom as to what He desires us to do. We are prayerfully considering a variety of projects.
One project, without a doubt, will include our Free Stuff 4 Daily Needs Cookbook. We will be able to make some more free copies available in our immediate region. This has been a community outreach project that has positively affected thousands in our region. A life changing resource—from budgeting tips, to simple meals to help put real food back on the table.
So, we ask for your prayers for us too. As we seek to be obedient to the leading of God with the financial stewardship of this ministry.
Keep an eye out for what outreaches will be happening here both on this website and physically in our local community. Outreaches that help to demonstrate what we’ve been talking about today – how to give a hand up to another.
For more ideas on this, check out: Help Lift The Life Couch.