Basic Kitchen Tools To Begin With
Most of us would love to have the latest gadgets and equipment in our kitchens. However, when faced with tight finances, we need to determine which is the NEED and what items are just the WANTS. (For a deeper discussion on Needs vs Wants, check this article)
Let’s look at what would be the basic kitchen tools that you should strive to include in your start-up kitchen first.
How is an item determined to be a basic kitchen tool?
What is the process used to determine whether an item is included in the basic start up kitchen?
- Firstly, cost is an important component in this determination.
- Secondly, is this item going to save you money in other ways?
- And thirdly, does it allow you to cook and bake inexpensive yet tasty meals for your family?
- Lastly, does the item serve a multi-use purpose in your kitchen?
For instance, let’s compare a basic 4 sided grater, and an electric food processor. It quickly becomes apparent that not only will the electric food processor cost you more to purchase, but it will continue to cost you money in both electricity usage, let alone the time needed to clean it. Whereas a simple metal 4 sided cheese grater is inexpensive, uses no electricity, and with a quick wash in a sink of hot water and dish soap, cleans up in hurry.
So just by even comparing the first 2 criteria, it is clear that given the choice and tight finances, your only consideration should be the 4 sided metal grater.
Kitchen Tools needed to cook a meal
If finances are tight, your focus should be first focused on gathering the kitchen tools needed to put meals on your table. We will look at the kitchen tools for baking goodies and sweets later. Right now, the importance is providing the means to put real food on your family’s table.
So kitchen tools you need immediately are:
- can opener to remove lids
- punch can opener (especially useful for items you might receive from the Food Bank such as canned apple juice)
- roast pan with lid
- wire whisk
- large saucepan or pot with lid
- large skillet or frying pan (or electric frying pan)
- baking sheet (also known as a cookie sheet)
- colander or strainer
- cutting board (your choice of wooden, plastic, or glass)
- knives (8 inch straight edge, and paring knife)
- metal or plastic spatula (plastic spatulas are useful for non-stick pans to prevent scratching them)
- rubber spatula (at the Dollarama or even the Dollar Tree, you can pick up an excellent one from Betty Crocker)
- mixing spoons (wooden or plastic)
- casserole dish with or without lid
- 4 sided grater
Empowerment comes with these kitchen tools
This assortment of basic kitchen tools for making meals will have you well on your way to becoming EMPOWERED. EMPOWERED towards conquering your financial restrictions while still being able to provide well-balanced and properly prepared meals to your family.
You can whip up a superb meal that will rival any chef, just by keeping it simple, wholesome, and serving good home cooked comfort foods.
What is missing in our lives? Simplicity. It is becoming harder and harder to even find a restaurant that serves a good old fashioned roast beef dinner. We live either on the extremes of super sized fast food, or exotic restaurant meals with unrecognizable ingredients and portion sizes that leave us still hungry.
Having the basic kitchen tools will help you in being able to help us, as a society, being able to preserve these traditions. With these kitchen tools you can whip up home made chili, roast beef, mashed potatoes, even turkey dinners with all the fixings.
Basic Baking Kitchen Tools That Prove Useful
Now that you’ve been able to have the tools to make dinner, how about dessert? Some of the very kitchen tools used for making basic meals will also be used for dessert making as well. Remember, earlier, we pointed out that kitchen tools that could be multi purposed are useful for including in your basic kitchen tool collection.
Baking Kitchen Tools to add are:
- basic cake pan
- muffin tin
- mixing bowls (large, medium and small)
- set of measuring spoons
- set of measuring cups for dry ingredients
- measuring cup for liquids
Perhaps you might be thinking that you need other items at this time, but that is not true if you are just getting started. For instance, you can mix by hand instead of using an electric mixer. Use a mayonnaise or peanut butter jar to flatten dough to make Easy Cinnamon Rolls From Scratch. Be creative. You won’t have to do without that rolling pin forever, just for the moment.
Later, as your finances improve, you can add these extra gadgets.
In the meantime, you now have the basic tools to make cakes, cookies, muffins, and more.
Basic Kitchen Tools And Complete Meal Preparation
You are now able to complete any meal. From pancakes for breakfast, soup for lunch, and pork chops for dinner. Don’t forget desserts. You don’t need all the latest gadgets to be able to cook and serve your family excellent meals.
Where to get these basic kitchen tools?
I am a bargain hunter for sure. What I like to do is research and see what the item would be to buy brand new. This way I know what the TOP PRICE is. Next I will go HUNTING. I want to get it for a lot cheaper than the brand new price. For instance the brand new item for $20, I will be wanting to find for $5 or less before I add it into my kitchen.
There are many ways that you can find these items you need for cheap prices or even FREE. Search your local:
- Thrift Stores such as SalMart, Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity ReStore, Value Village, or more
- Yard sales or rummage sales in your neighborhood. You might find the bargain you are looking for while supporting a local cause at the same time. They win and you win too!
- Join some buy & sell sites on Facebook. There are many FREE swap sites on Facebook also.
- And don’t forget the Dollar Stores. For instance, I just love the Dollarama and Dollar Tree for their selection of Betty Crocker items.
- Finally, don’t forget to ask family members if they are thinning out their cupboards. Maybe you can get that special cookie cutter from Grandma that brings back such sweet memories to you.
These are just some ideas and suggestions to get you thinking about filling your Kitchen Tool supply for the least amount of money. Remember these are the Basic Kitchen Tools To Begin With. By being frugal at this time and saving money, when that special mixer or crock pot you want to add to your collection comes on sale, you are in a better position financially to both buy it, and justify the purchase.
Showing you how to be EMPOWERED towards a HOPE and a FUTURE.