Are You An Earthbound Angel?
Recently my husband and I attended a funeral. A recurring phrase kept being repeated.
“She was an earthbound angel”.
These words were echoed over and over by family members, friends, and throughout the eulogies.
Who was She?
We found ourselves attending a glorious celebration of the life of a godly woman. Only 4 weeks earlier she had been diagnosed with cancer and was now gone. As quickly as the news got out that she was ill.
Having known this woman for years, I knew there would be a lot of people in attendance. There was standing room only in the church sanctuary and the foyer. Even the room in the basement, with the closed circuit television, was full.
The stories about this woman’s life were varied and many. She had touched countless lives and in the process—led many people to Jesus. She herself had only discovered Him in middle life. Once she did—she wanted to share Jesus with everyone!
Over and over again the phrase “earthbound angel” was repeated.
What a beautiful nickname spoken with love.
The common thread among all of us in attendance was this “earthbound angel”. A compassionate, giving, servant to others, who instinctively seemed to know when to come into your life. Just at that moment when you needed to have a ministering angel most.
- Whether you needed a friend to visit because you were lonely
- A bowl of soup because you were sick
- Extra meals as you recovered from surgery
- Balloons in the yard as you came home with your newborn baby
- Cookies for the kids.
- Or just the greeting she gave you in the street. As if you were the most important person she had seen all day.
On and on went the stories.
Are you an Earthbound Angel?
Before you can answer this, let’s look at what an Earthbound Angel is. By definition an Angel is a divine messenger of Jehovah. Earth can be defined as being this planet. While Bound refers to being limited or restricted to a specific territory. Or in this case, the Earth. So, an Earthbound Angel is:
“a person who is a divine messenger of Jehovah and is here on earth, restricted only by his/her human limitations.”
So, let me ask you again, are you an Earthbound Angel? Do people around you consider you to be a heaven sent messenger of Jesus? A living, breathing, example among us all here on earth? Are you the Hands and Feet of Christ?
How can you learn to be an Earthbound Angel?
- Let Jesus heal your own heart. Draw close to the Lord. Let the Holy Spirit minister to your heart and life wounds. Draw close in your personal relationship with Jesus.
- Open your eyes. As your relationship with Jesus deepens, He will show you things. He will show you people and situations around you. Things that you may never have been fully aware of before.
- Open your heart. Not only that—He will lead you and guide you. Teaching you how to be His extended arms and feet in these situations. Your compassion for others will grow.
- Do something. Lastly, the Holy Spirit will prompt and guide you to do something.
Do Something such as:
- Suddenly getting the urge to pick up the phone and call someone
- You don’t know why you made so much for dinner. Now what? Do you invite someone over for dinner? Or, box it up and take it to the home of a shut-in? How about the hardworking mom and dad down the street? You’ve always wondered how they come home and still have dinner ready for the kids at a reasonable time. Be an Earthbound Angel and surprise them. A meal already prepared by a caring and observant neighbor will help them. Help them in a way that will be remembered for years.
- How about doing someone’s laundry? Someone home from the hospital after surgery. Or the tired mom with a newborn and toddlers. You can do it at their home or yours.
- Do you enjoy crafts such as knitting or crochet? Make mitts, hats, dishcloths and more for groups/organizations. Groups like pregnancy crisis centers, women’s shelters, Salvation Army programs, Free Stuff 4 Daily Needs, or local church neighborhood outreaches, etc.
- Take someone grocery shopping who doesn’t have a vehicle. Low-income families without vehicles face a difficult decision every time they grocery shop. Buy as much food as they can and walk home with the shopping cart. Or, buy less food, and pay for a cab to go home. Not a nice option.
Look at how you can touch lives around you. Show the love of Jesus to others.
But I’m housebound!
Yes, but if you are reading this article then you have a connection with others over the internet.
- Are you an encouraging word?
- A voice of prayer?
- Wisdom. Do you know of internet sites to guide people to?
- Say “Happy Birthday”. “Sorry for your loss”. “Congratulations on your wedding”. “Congratulations on the new baby”.
Never underestimate how a small action can impact the lives of others around you.
We, for instance, have a neighbor who knows just the right time to send a container of soup to our front door. Another friend, by listening to the Lord’s prompting, knows when to show up and pray with us. Yet another just checks in from time to time with a simple, “Hey, how are you?”
Seek to serve others around you and maybe the precious nickname of “Earthbound Angel” will become yours too.
Do you or did you know an Earthbound Angel?
What impacted your life the most about him or her? Feel free to share your story in the comments below. What can we learn from these Earthbound Angels?
To honor them most would be to follow the example they set before you. Go out and impact your neighbors too. No matter how big or small. Listen to the Holy Spirit’s prodding and act on it.
Carry on their work and legacy. Be the next Earthbound Angel.